Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swimming lessons 101...

Well, we survived our first class of swimming lesson. Laney was very excited until we got there. Her instructor's name is Montana which Laney thinks is the best because Dinah and Papa are in Montana. Laney got in with her without any problem. Unfortunately, the tears started within one minute of being in the water. I was proud of her though...she did what Montana asked for the most part. She shook her head no a lot but she kept going. The kicker was having to jump into the pool though. Montana didn't quite know who she was up against. Montana lifted Laney up so she could jump in...the hysterical crying set in...Laney started backing away from the side. When Montana started to get out of the pool to help her, Laney bolted towards me. My heart just broke. I had to help her get back to the side while crying hysterically. We talked for a while. Finally, I got her hands to Montana's hands and she jumped in. She was not happy about it but she did it!!! Her thoughts the next morning..."She shouldn't make you jump in the dark water, it just isn't safe." I have to agree!! Of course, they had Water Aerobics class going in the same pool so there was loud music and lots of waves...that is scary to a kid plus deep water! Overall, I was very very very proud of her! We will see how tonight goes now that she knows what to expect.

1 comment:

The Pieroni Family said...

Yes, in her defense, the water can be a very scary thing. Swimming lessons haunt me to this day. I will NEVER forget how mean and scary my instructor was-----expecting me to jump off of the diving board @ 5! I remember how BIG the pool felt and everything! Ughhhh.